To protect a server outside the DPM's domain:
- First install the agent manually on the server, copy the installer from C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\agents\RA
- Add a host entry on both the DPM and the server to be protected to allow name resolution of each other
- On the server to be protected, navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin and run this command
- SetDpmServer.exe -dpmServerName backup -isNonDomainServer -userName svcdpm
- From the DPM console go to the management tab, click the Install action and choose to "Attach agents" to a "Computer in a workgroup or untrusted domain"
- Specify the name of the server and the username you created with the SetDpmServer command
- The server now should appear in the Agents list